Wednesday, January 29, 2014

15 Weeks and Growing

15 weeks today! For anyone who likes the fruit-baby comparisons, the babies are supposedly the size of apples this week (or 4 inches long).

I am finally starting to look a little pregnant (sometimes). Here's a picture I made Brian take of me tonight. For anyone who asked for photos of my bump, you're welcome. I guess I'll post a few here and there.


Most of the time I just look like I've gained a little weight. I'm in that awkward phase where I look fat instead of pregnant. But I'm getting there. Several people have commented on my growing bump the last few days. Jack (my boss) even rubbed my belly today. Pretty awkward but I know he means well.

Basically I've been trying to eat right and get some exercise while I still can. Here's what I've been doing:

Exercise: I've been trying to get to the gym some and I've been doing some prenatal yoga at home. I've been making it to the gym about once a week, but I would like to go twice a week if possible. Brian would prefer that I do nothing. My main goal is to stay healthy, keep the babies in for as long as possible, and keep myself strong enough to stay off bed rest as long as possible.

At the gym I do a light 30 minutes elliptical workout then either a very modified core workout or light upper body machines. 

Funny story about the gym this week: So yesterday I went to the gym after performing my Dance Mom duties. Unfortunately, there was a camera man there! And FYI, I just looked fat yesterday. Several of my coworkers confirmed this by laughing at my muffin top before I headed out. I blame it mostly on my poor choice of shirts but still, I had no business being in a video for a gym. Of course this happened though. For anyone who doesn't know, I have been in the 10 Fitness commercials here in Little Rock for over the last two years off and on. I happened to be at the gym at the right (wrong) time - 10 am on a Wednesday to be exact - and I ended up in several shots for the commercial. Sometimes my cameo appearance is still included in current commercials. Hopefully this time they only got either my chest up or my butt down. Yeah I know, good luck with that. At first I was in good shape. I was parked on an elliptical next to an older out-of-shape lady who had no business being in the commercial. But then, of course, an attractive (for the gym) athletic younger guy gets on the elliptical on the other side of me (if he turns out to be hideous in the commercial don't judge me - I couldn't be caught staring at him so I really don't know). I almost started picking my nose so they wouldn't use me again. Maybe I should have . . . . 

Today I decided to stay home for my workout. So I did my yoga video (thanks Bethany and Keith). Now I've never done yoga before so I have nothing to compare it to, but is she serious? First, the yoga instructor and the students are all wearing unitards. And they are supposed to be in varying stages of pregnancy. I, on the other hand, do not wear a unitard, ever. Then, the instructor tells me things like "feel the dignity of your pose" as I'm falling over, or my favorite, "yoga is like childbirth" (yeah right, I know that's a lie). Then there's the "guided relaxation" segment at the end. This is the portion of the workout where my dogs always find something or someone outside to bark at. And either Brian or Addison always decide that this is a good time to come in the bedroom and ask me questions, including "what are you doing" or "are you asleep?" Needless to say, the guided relaxation doesn't work for me. So yeah, yoga probably isn't my thing. I do like it though because it stretches me out. But I haven't really been able to fully relax during or after yoga yet. Maybe that comes later? Maybe I just need a less cheesy yoga video and/or instructor. 

Pregnancy Diet: Not really a diet I guess. But I am supposed to eat an extra 900 calories per day (300 per baby per day)! This is on top of my previous daily calories, which was around 1200. So basically double the calories. I try to get 2000+ calories a day. I am also watching fiber and protein. I downloaded a pregnancy nutrition app a few weeks ago to keep track of everything and that has really helped. 

My goal is to make my meals count and still eat mostly healthy good-for-me-and-the-babies food. I get full pretty fast (unless it's pizza, and then I can eat a gross amount that would put any grown man to shame) so I try to eat snacks. I've started eating bigger breakfasts, like a smoothie with fruit, yogurt, almond milk, flax seed and spinach if Brian is out of bed (don't knock the spinach until you try it - you can't taste it and it's so good for you!). And I've been eating snacks between meals, like pretzels, granola bars, yogurt (yum! and good for calcium too).  

Another big thing I have to watch in my diet is water. I need more than the standard 64 ounces recommended for everyone. I was told 80-100 ounces per day. I've done pretty well with this, usually closer to 80 but still good. And I can track my water with my nutrition app!  But as you can probably imagine, all that water means I can never sleep through the night without getting up at least once to use the bathroom.

My favorite foods right now - pizza, ice cream, cookies, and yogurt. I guess these aren't pregnancy cravings though because I love these things all the time anyways. I also rediscovered bagels with cream cheese. One thing I have noticed is that I have reverted to my high school/college days and dip everything in ranch again, like pizza of course.

1 comment:

John Griffith said...

I remember the ranch days...