Wednesday, April 29, 2015

One.

It happened. The boys didn't listen to me and they turned 1. I have mixed feelings about it really. I'm sad. But also really amazed at how far they've come in the last year. From 2 lb 27 weekers to healthy growing (still little) 1 year olds! This last year has been the longest, scariest, craziest year of my life by far. It doesn't seem long enough still though. I guess it's a mom thing. Brian doesn't seem affected by the fact that they are ONE! We did get here a little differently than most people. We spent the first 5 months in the NICU. We've guarded these guys like our lives (and theirs) depended on it, and well theirs kinda did. In all we spent 151 days in NICU and we've been admitted back into the hospital 5 times since then, luckily all short stays. Although we don't know "normal" we do know that these guys are strong little fighters. 

I'm still not ready. I wish it wasn't their birthday for several reasons. The obvious reason - I want them to stay little. But also because I wish I could have kept them in longer so they could grow bigger and stronger before coming into this world. Today is not just their birthday. It's also the 1 year anniversary of the scariest day of my life. Seriously. Everything happened so fast. I had no control whatsoever. Maybe that's why I have all of this anxiety.  Sometimes I think it's my fault, that I could have done something differently. I would do anything. Sometimes I can't sleep because of it. I guess maybe it's this way for all preemie moms. I consider myself one of the lucky ones though because we made it through. My boys are here today and they're thriving. There's also wine. Wine is my best friend sometimes. 
Here's where we started and here's a link to the blog post from one year ago about the day they were born (They're Here). It made me tear up when I read it!
Mason 1 year ago
Logan 1 year ago
James 1 year ago
And now:
Mason
Logan
James
I can't get over Logan's face in these pictures from this morning! Ha! Thanks Laura and Caroline for the awesome birthday bibs!

And here's a sneak peek from our photo session from last week! I'm so in love with this picture! We have the best photographer ever! I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures (and I'll share them of course)!

I know I've posted a lot lately so I'll try to keep this one brief (yeah right). Well it's not brief (not even close) but it's mostly pictures so that's ok right? And they're ONE YEAR OLD!!

Here are our 1 year stats (from last Friday in newborn clinic):

Mason: 17 lbs. 1 oz. (9.9% for adjusted age; 2.5% for actual age), 26.5 inches
Logan: 15 lbs. 7 oz. (1.4% for adjusted age), 26 inches
James: 17 lbs. 12 oz. (17.7% for adjusted age, 5.4% for actual age), 26.5 inches

Did you notice the actual age percentages?!!! Yay Mason and James! We are very short even for adjusted age (0.4 and 1.4%). Oh well. I didn't really expect them to be tall. Maybe they'll grow and surprise us all.

Here's the digital images that I used for the chalkboard posters from my fellow triplet mom Amanda at Triplet Treasures on Etsy! These have all of their 1 year stats including some of their favorite things and what they can do!
Mason actually has 5 teeth now! 4 across the top and 1 on the bottom! And Mason and Logan are both starting to army crawl. James is completely mobile. And he's getting fast! He also learned how to sit on his own from his belly! He did it tonight like it was nothing!

We saw Dr. Peeples last Friday in high risk newborn clinic and we got a great report! This was more of a social visit (in my opinion) than the previous visits! We are making no changes except we get to stop giving the nasty multi-vitamin. We'll go back and see Dr. Peeples in about 3 months and we'll do another swallow study for Logan and James then she may discharge us. I guess that's good news but I'll miss newborn clinic!

Here are some of my favorite pictures of the boys from the past month! Warning . . . I have lots of favorites this month!
The holy grail of triplet pictures - 3 smiles!
Brian loves that I take lots of pictures! 
Dueling pianos
Dinner time!
Mason
Mason is super smiley all the time! And he has crazy eyes sometimes! He's probably the sweetest baby ever too! If you met Mason at the party for the first time that was definitely NOT his normal demeanor! He hardly ever cries! (But when he does he's super angry - I call that Angry Mason and I hate when Angry Mason joins us!) Oh and Mason seems innocent but he's a toy thief! And a cup thief too!
Logan
Logan is too funny! He does smile and it's super cute and so sweet. But his signature look is definitely the bitchy resting face or the duck lips face. Ha! He's also a big talker! Logan wakes up first most mornings and talks to himself (very loudly) until we get up. 
Logan sleeps with his little booty super high in the air so I snuck in and took some pics the other day at the end of naptime! 
He caught me!
James
James is super sweet too. And also super needy! He's a big baby for sure! But he gets so happy when he sees us I just love it! He's also into everything! His favorites right now - the cords to the swings and the dog bowls of course!
Mason and Logan have both been sick this week but luckily it hasn't been anything serious this time! Logan missed school Monday so he came to work with me for a minute Monday morning. So of course we took a selfie. Logan wasn't impressed.
James had a hypertension clinic appointment that day too so he got to take a mom selfie too! Good news though - blood pressure looks great! We go back in 2-3 months and if everything is still good we can stop meds! Yay!
Also not impressed
And of course here are our last pictures before we turned 1! Notice James didn't last in the matching sleeper for long! He decided to round out the first year by projectile vomiting on Brian (again).
James
Mason
And Logan decided he wasn't ready to sleep just yet!
And Addison had to try out the little car too. The boys love it so why not right?! I think she's just a little too big. And James was super confused!
We had our amazing party on Saturday. You can read about it here if you missed it (The Party)! We had a pretty great day for the actual birthday too! Nina and Pop came over to play and they brought dinner for the big people!
We also got the best happy birthday post from our triplet girlfriends! Thanks Sophie, Harper, and Bristol!
Oh and of course we took our LAST sticker pictures too! Maybe I'll make some more stickers. I'm sure Brian would be totally ok with that right?
Mason
Logan
James
And of course we had lots of outtakes:
Brian made Mason cry
Logan really hates pictures apparently!
James wanted to play instead of take pictures
They were done
Ok so I failed at keeping it brief but this one was mostly pictures so not much reading at least! And they are ONE!!! I still can't believe it. I'm still in denial. All that good stuff. But I'm also super proud of all they've accomplished this year. Some people say we've made it, that we've survived. I don't really understand what that's supposed to mean. What I do know is that we have 3 One Year Olds now! And the adventure continues.

No comments: